This past July of 2019, Ryan Wellner joined the Notre Dame staff after a successful eight-year stint at the Naval Academy. He spent the last three seasons as the associate head coach after five years of being an assistant. Wellner is widely regarded as one of the top defensive coaches in the sport and he also served as the Midshipmen’s recruiting coordinator.
Tonight, to kick off season three of Beyond the Game, we bring on Coach Wellner to discuss his journey to South Bend. Coach Wellner is a wealth of knowledge as it relates to lacrosse x’s & o’s, leadership, recruiting, the business of sports, and more. Any young, aspiring college lacrosse player should tune in tonight! This is an opportunity to not only learn from Coach Wellner, as he sits down with Corey Winkoff of Love the Game, it’s a chance to join the conversation. You can ask questions to Coach Wellner throughout the show.
Tonight’s show will feature responses around the following questions:
- How the college game has changed since 2000, the year coach Wellner graduated from Mary Washington
- Discuss the changes in the business of lacrosse
- The difference between coaching division iii and division i, and how both have changed over the last 20 years
- The importance of riding the ball back. 2019 marked the year Navy had one of the best riding teams in NCAA Division i
- What is culture and why it’s important to succeeding at the highest level of college lacrosse
- College coaches move from job to job, how does this impact what they look for in recruits
- Where will we see Coach Wellner in 10 years
- The game is growing, where will lacrosse be in 10 years
BYG will go live at 7:30PM EST and the show can be viewed on the following platforms:
We look forward to seeing you tonight!