Shore 2 Shore with 8-7 overtime win over Regulators in High Velocity Showdown

On Saturday September 16th Cold Spring Harbor High School hosted the High Velocity Showdown featuring Shore 2 Shore and the Regulators in a matchup between two  high level 2025 Long Island club programs and it did not disappoint.  This showcase game was presented by the LILJ and was broadcasted live courtesy of LI Sports Network with the film available on the LILJ YouTube channel to be viewed by college coaches for recruiting. This contest was played in four 12 minute quarters with running time, but incorporated the element of the 80 second shot clock, getting players accustomed to what it will be like when they take their game to the collegiate level.

The first seven plus minutes of play in the opening quarter heavily favored the defenses of both teams, but it was Shore 2 Shore breaking the seal with 4:33 remaining as Gavin Kim sprinted down the alley for the right handed sniper. They carried the momentum into the ensuing face-off and built a 2-0 lead on a transition goal scored by Jack Salva, assisted by Zach Fishman. The Regualtors responded inside a minute remaining as Jack DiMaggio scored on a textbook inside roll to get them on the board going into the second quarter.

In the second quarter DiMaggio struck again, taking advantage of the short stick matchup to even the game at 2-2, but Shore 2 Shore would grab the lead back as Fishman scored his first goal of the game, coming off of the pick set by Ryan O’Toole. At the face-off X Chris Sloma was in control for Shore 2 Shore, and between the lines Hunter Yulico, Jack Romano, Andrew Hadjandreas, and Ryan Chung for the Regulators proved to be difference makers whether it was in the ground ball department or showing all out hustle chasing down shots to create extra possessions. After Kevin Burns tied the game at 3-3, Shore 2 Shore struck at the buzzer with Fishman’s second goal of the game leaving his stick just in time for a 4-3 halftime lead.

Both teams played multiple goaltenders with Shore 2 Shore protecting the pipes by the trio of Henry Griffith, Matt Hughes, and Ethan Levy, and the Regulators rolling out the duo of Michael Jannotte, and Andrew McKenzie.

The third quarter saw a shift in momentum as it was the Regulators rattling off three straight goals for a 6-4 lead, scored by Sam Bruno, Spencer Cymbler, and a transition goal by Roger Testa on the fast break ignited by Nick Henry. It appeared the Regulators might seize momentum and pull away before Kim scored his second goal right in front of the crease to cut the Shore 2 Shore deficit to one going into the fourth. Early in the quarter a crucial shot by the Regulators that was backed up by Stephen Kiernan gave possession back to Shore 2 Shore and moments later Salva assisted O’Toole to erase the two goal deficit. With the game all even at 6, midway through the fourth it was the freshman Roy Testa coming up with the go-ahead goal to once again put the Regulators back in front 7-6. The score remained the same inside of two minutes, but a heads up play by Kiernan to intercept the clear for Shore 2 Shore with 1:20 remaining led to him scoring the clutch game-tying pole goal ultimately forcing a three minute overtime. In the overtime it only took 24 seconds for Shore 2 Shore’s Harley Finkelstein to score the game winner on a little tic-tac-toe transition goal which was started by a big ground ball from Sloma on the opposite end of the field, and it was Shore 2 Shore who came away with an 8-7 win!


Leave a Reply

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

icon-angle icon-bars icon-times